The role of X-ray technician is extremely vital in assisting the medical team by providing crucial information about the specialized images of the patients that is essential for diagnosing and treating health problems. Here we deal with the various courses and programs offered in x ray and cost of x ray technician courses offered.
We dissect the various programs offered ad individual costs for online X ray technician courses and costs of campus based online X ray technician courses. There are several schools available for the above certification programmes but the costs of each school varies based on the location and program you are choosing, one must keep in mind that the school is accredited by Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology are priced higher than the contrary.
Certification courses and Cost Break Up for Students of X-Ray Technicology
There are three types of courses that can be pursued by students aiming to become professionals in the above stream:
- One year Certification programme - This may cost anywhere from $2500 to $ 5, 000 per year for online schools and campus based schools may charge somewhere around $2500 – $ 8000
- Two year Associate’s degree programme – Average cost of this may range between $ 4000 to $12,000 yearly for campus based schools and online schools may charge $5000 – $8000 yearly
- Four year Bachelor’s Degree - Campus based schools tuition fees may vary from $ 7000 to $13,000 annually.
Reasons for wide range in cost variation
- Type of school –Opting for a Community college can drastically decrease the tuition cost compared to enrolling in a private school.
- Location of the school—The basic tuition fees varies hugely from state to state for example the same certification programme may cost $7525 per year while in Gadsden, Alabama while in San Diego, California ,the yearly fees is $658!
- Paying in –state or out-of-state tuition fees.-The difference between the two may range from $1000 to$2000 yearly .It is worth mentioning here that , out-of –state tuition fees for the above course in Gadsden is $9655 whereas students eligible for in-state –tuition pay $7525 yearly.
- Cost break up may look like the following
Processing fees of application- $25 -$75
Average cost of books and supplies – up to $1,200 per year
Miscellaneous fees- range from $100 to $1,000 depending on the college.
Average cost of room and board – $10,000-$17,000 annually
Uniforms at $60 to $250
Daily expenses will include transportation, housing, food & other supplies.
The fees charged by the online schools of Radiology are comparatively less and may not include such a detailed cost break up, it averages close to $7,000 per year in most states but students prefer campus based schools as X ray technology requires extensive laboratory training.
Before enrolling into desired college, the students must enquire about the Scholarships & educational loans provided by the colleges. The misconception about this course being expensive should be discarded as all professional course in this category cost approximately the same .Besides, there is high Return on investment on getting an entry level job the annual salary of an X-Ray technician is $41000.After completing this course, the students can enrol on –job into further specialisations in Mammography, Angiography, CT for increasing their market value. Currently, 220,540 X-Ray technicians are employed in United States and their demand is ever increasing due to advancement in Healthcare facilities in US. The employment opportunities for X-Ray Technician are anticipated to grow by 17% till 2018 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics so choosing a career in this field is a good option.